Academic Opportunities

Study Abroad

The Center for Global Education administers, supports, and coordinates all university programs taking place outside the United States.

Short-Term Programs

Periodically, short-term, faculty-led study abroad programs sponsored by Marymount University are available to graduate and undergraduate students. Past programs have included an art and architecture study tour in Italy, a study of operations and management in Belgium, and a forensic and legal psychology program in London.

Students in these programs typically receive direct Marymount credit.

Marymount’s Center for Global Education can provide additional information about these programs and the criteria for enrollment. The Study Abroad pages of the university website also offer additional information about such programs. Visit and search for study abroad.

Transferring Study Abroad Credit

Credits transferred from study abroad are not included in the university’s minimum residency requirement. (This does not apply to credits earned through Marymount-sponsored short-term programs.)

Acceptance of credits earned in a study abroad program is at the discretion of the university. Work must be completed with a grade of B or better to be accepted.

Students studying abroad in programs not sponsored by Marymount should consult the Center for Global Education to learn if they must also maintain Continuous Registration at Marymount. Those who must maintain Continuous Registration, but fail to do so will be considered separated from the university. See Continuous Registration.

Student Research — DISCOVER

Marymount University’s DISCOVER program coordinates an annual Student Research Day, where both graduate and undergraduate students may present research projects. The program also offers a small travel stipend to graduate and undergraduate students who are presenting at professional conferences in their fields of study.

Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area

Marymount University is a member of The Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area. Eligible students from Marymount may take approved courses at member institutions. A list of all members can be found at

Students wishing to enroll in a course offered through the consortium must select one that is acceptable to both Marymount University and the visited institution. See Students Enrolling at Consortium Institutions under Registration for further information about consortium student registration requirements.

Enrollment procedures may be found under the consortium information section of the Office of the Registrar website. Go to and search for "registrar."